Zucchini fritters with dill tzatziki
Lovely when picked young, this member of the cucurbita family soon resembles the marrow if left to grow larger than your hand. To offset watery texture, salt larger zucchini before use.
- Prep Time : 20 minutes
- Cook Time : 10 minutes
- Yield : 4 servings
- zucchini, coarsely grated - 200 g
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- ricotta cheese - 1/2 cup
- all-purpose flour - 2 tablespoons
- egg - 1
- garlic cloves, crushed - 3
- small handful of fresh basil, chopped - 1
- small handful of flat leaf parsley, chopped - 1
- light olive oil, to fry - to taste
- finely chopped fresh dill - 2 tablespoons
- plain yogurt - 1 cup
- juice of lemon - 1/2 lemon
1. Sprinkle the zucchini with 1 tsp of salt and leave to drain in a sieve for 1 hour. Rinse and squeeze dry in a clean tea towel.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the ricotta cheese, egg, and flour. Add 2 of the crushed garlic cloves, the basil, and parsley, and season well. Mix in the zucchini.
3. Fill a frying pan with olive oil to a depth of 1⁄2in (1cm) and place over medium heat. When hot, fry tablespoons of the batter, without crowding, for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Drain the fritters on paper towels.
4. To make the tzatziki, mix the remaining clove of garlic with the dill, some salt and freshly ground pepper, and the yogurt. Add a squeeze of lemon juice, and then serve immediately with the hot fritters.
Leave a Reply