Wonderful strawberry cream cake - perfect dessert to be served at any brunch!
- Prep Time : 20 minutes
- Cook Time : 1 hr 35 minutes
- Yield : 16 servings
- Cream Cheese Filling
- package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened - 1
- sugar - 1/4 cup
- all-purpose flour - 2 tablespoons
- egg - 1
- all-purpose flour - 2 1/4 cups
- sugar - 3/4 cup
- cold butter - 3/4 cup
- baking powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- baking soda - 1/2 teaspoon
- salt - 1/4 teaspoon
- sour cream - 3/4
- almond extract - 1 teaspoon
- egg - 1
- strawberry or raspberry preserves - 1/2 cup
- sliced almonds - 1/2 cup
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom and side of 10-inch springform pan or 11x7-inch (2-quart) glass baking dish with shortening; lightly flour.
- In small bowl, mix filling ingredients until smooth; set aside.
- In large bowl, mix 2¼ cups flour and ¾ cup sugar. Cut in butter, using pastry blender or fork, until mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Reserve 1 cup of the crumb mixture. Stir baking powder, baking soda, salt, sour cream, almond extract and egg into remaining crumb mixture. Spread batter over bottom and 2 inches up side (about¼ inch thick) of pan.
- Pour filling over batter. Carefully spoon preserves evenly over filling. Mix almonds and reserved crumb mixture; sprinkle over preserves.
- Bake springform pan 50 to 60 minutes, 11x7-inch dish 35 to 45 minutes, or until filling is set and crust is deep golden brown. Cool 15 minutes; remove side of springform pan. Serve warm if desired. Store covered in refrigerator.
DIRECTIONS: Cool cake completely, then wrap tightly and freeze up to 1 month. To thaw, let stand at room temperature several hours before serving.