Marinara Sauce Recipe
Classic marinara sauces vary from region to region and from cook to cook, with everyone claiming a favorite. Our version is layered with the flavors of Italian herbs and a nice hint of garlic.
- Prep Time : 15 minutes
- Cook Time : 45 minutes
- Yield : 6 cups sauce
- crushed tomatoes with basil, undrained - 2 cans (28 oz each) (800ml each)
- tomato paste - 1 can (6 oz) (180ml)
- onion, chopped - 1 large (1 cup)
- cloves garlic, finely chopped - 8
- olive or vegetable oil - 1 tablespoon
- sugar - 2 tablespoons
- dried basil leaves - 1½ teaspoons
- dried oregano leaves - 1 teaspoon
- pepper - 1 teaspoon
- salt - ½ teaspoon
- In 3-quart saucepan, stir all ingredients until well mixed. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer 30 minutes to blend flavors.
- Use sauce immediately, or cover and refrigerate up to 2 weeks or freeze up to 1 year.
Pasta Sauce Fix-Ups
Take a jar of your favorite pasta sauce and add one or more of the following ingredients to make it your own. Then simmer and serve it over your favorite pasta.
- Cooked crumbled ground beef, Italian sausage or turkey sausage
- Diced pepperoni or cooked meatballs
- Cooked shrimp or crabmeat
- Sliced ripe olives
- Sliced fresh mushrooms
- Diced bell pepper or green onions
- Frozen white kernel corn
- Chopped fresh basil or oregano
- Chopped fresh tomato
- Sliced green onions
- Sliced canned artichoke hearts
- Sliced roasted bell peppers (from a jar)
Leave a Reply