Roast Chicken - Recipe
It’s a satisfying moment when you bring your beautifully roasted chicken surrounded with lovely vegetables to the table. Here’s how to make that perfect whole roasted chicken — one you’ll be proud to serve.
- Prep Time : 20 minutes
- Cook Time : 2h 00 min
- Yield : 6 servings
- olive or vegetable oil - ¼ cup
- chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves - 2 tablespoons
- chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves - 2 tablespoons
- teaspoon salt - ½
- coarse ground black pepper - ¼ teaspoon
- lemon - 1
- whole chicken (4 to 5 lb)(1.8 to 2.2 kg) - 1
- small red potatoes, cut in half - 6
- ready-to-eat baby-cut carrots - 1 cup
- green beans, trimmed - 8oz / 250gr
1. Heat oven to 375°F.In small bowl, mix oil, thyme, marjoram, salt and pepper.
Grate 1 teaspoon peel from lemon; stir peel into oil mixture.
Cut lemon into quarters; place in cavity of chicken.
2. Fold wings across back of chicken so tips are touching. Skewer or tie legs together. On rack in shallow roasting pan or 13x9-inch pan fitted with rack, place chicken, breast side up. Brush some of the oil mixture on chicken. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is in thickest part of thigh but does not touch bone.
3. Roast uncovered 45 minutes. Arrange potatoes, carrots and green beans around chicken; brush remaining oil mixture on chicken and vegetables. Roast uncovered 30 to 45 minutes longer or until thermometer reads at least 165°F (73°C), legs move easily when lifted or twisted and vegetables are tender. Cover loosely with foil; let stand 15 to 20 minutes for easiest carving.
4. Remove lemon and discard. Place chicken on platter; arrange vegetables around chicken. Serve with pan drippings.
BUTTERY ROSEMARY-HONEY ROASTED CHICKEN
Omit all ingredients except chicken. Place chicken on rack in shallow roasting pan as directed in Step 2. Arrange 1½ lb buttercup or acorn squash, seeded, cut into ½-inch rings or slices, then cut in half crosswise, and 2 medium onions, cut into 1-inch wedges, around chicken. In small bowl, mix ½ cup melted butter,¼ cup lemon juice, 2 tablespoons honey, 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed, and 1 clove garlic, finely chopped. Brush half of mixture on Herb Roasted Chicken and Vegetables.