Caesar Salad Recipe
This classic salad is the perfect go-to recipe to accompany most any meal. It’s not hard to whip up, but knowing how to make a great dressing and crisp croutons turns a ho-hum Caesar into a specialty salad that folks will ask you to make again and again.
- Prep Time : 15 minutes
- Cook Time : 15 minutes
- Yield : 6 servings
- clove garlic, cut in half - 1
- anchovy fillets, cut up* - 8
- olive oil - ⅓ cup
- tablespoons fresh lemon juice - 3
- Worcestershire sauce - 1 teaspoon
- salt - ¼ teaspoon
- ground mustard - ¼ teaspoon
- Freshly ground pepper - to taste
- bunches romaine - 1 large or 2 small
- lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces - 10 cups
- Garlic Croutons - 1 cup
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese - ½ cup
1 Rub large salad bowl with cut clove of garlic for extra flavor if desired. Chop garlic and place in bowl.
2. In salad bowl, using wire whisk, mix anchovies, oil, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt, mustard and pepper.
3. Add romaine; toss until coated. Sprinkle with croutons and cheese; toss. Serve immediately.
*2 teaspoons anchovy paste can be substituted. If you prefer, anchovies can be omitted.
Keys to Success
- Rub bowl with garlic to impart a light garlic flavor to lettuce when tossed if desired.
- Chop garlic pieces to add more garlic flavor to salad.
- Use whisk to mix all dressing ingredients together so that oil is suspended (emulsified) with other ingredients.
- Toss salad by scooping up lettuce, croutons and dressing with salad utensils or tongs in batches to get dressing onto lettuce gently without bruising or breaking leaves.
Leave a Reply