Homemade Tomato Juice
Some tomatoes are sweeter than others, depending on their ripeness and the variety of tomato. Use the ripest tomatoes you can. Added sugar will balance the natural acidity of the tomatoes, use more or less to taste. Tabasco hot sauce is also to taste, depending on your desired level of spiciness.
- Prep Time : 10 minutes
- Cook Time : 15 minutes
- Yield : 1 liter
- very ripe garden tomatoes, cored, roughly chopped - 3 pounds / 1.5 kg
- chopped celery with leaves - 1 1/4 cups
- chopped onion - 1/3 cup
- sugar - 2 tablespoons (to taste)
- salt - 1 tablespoon
- black pepper - pinch
- A couple shakes of Tabasco sauce - 6-8 drops (to taste)
- Put all ingredients into a large non-reactive pot (use stainless steel, not aluminum). Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until mixture is completely soupy, about 25 minutes.
- Force mixture through a sieve, chinoise, or food mill. Cool completely.
Store covered and chilled. Will last for about 1 week in the refrigerator.
Leave a Reply