Fresh Tomato Sauce Recipe
Fast recipe for fresh tomato sauce - lower calories
- Prep Time : 20 minutes
- Cook Time : 20 minutes
- Yield : 4 cups sauce
- whole tomatoes, drained - 1 can (28 oz) (820ml)
- cloves garlic, finely chopped - 2
- chopped fresh or dried basil leaves - 1 tablespoon
- chopped fresh parsley or parsley flakes - 1 tablespoon
- grated Parmesan cheese - 1 teaspoon
- olive or vegetable oil - 1 teaspoon
- salt - ½ teaspoon
- pepper - ½ teaspoon
- medium ripe tomatoes, diced (about 4½ cups) - 6
- pitted kalamata or ripe olives, cut in half - ¾ cup
- capers, if desired - 1 tablespoon
- In food processor or blender, place all ingredients except diced tomatoes, olives and capers. Cover and process until smooth. Pour into large glass or plastic bowl. Stir in tomatoes, olives and capers. Serve warm or cool.
- Use sauce immediately, or cover and refrigerate up to 2 weeks or freeze up to 1 year.
½ Cup: Calories 70; Total Fat 2.5g (Saturated Fat 0g; Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 430mg; Total Carbohydrate 10g (Dietary Fiber 3g); Protein 2g Exchanges: 2 Vegetable Carbohydrate Choices: ½
ROASTED TOMATO SAUCE
Cut 6 to 8 plum (Roma) tomatoes into quarters. Toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Spread on shallow pan. Bake at 450°F for 10 to 12 minutes. Substitute for the 6 ripe tomatoes. Substitute 2 cans (14.5 oz each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes for the can of whole tomatoes.
Leave a Reply