This recipe is beneficial and flavorful. Simple, delicious and quick to make.
Hope that you enjoy it!
- Prep Time : 35 minutes
- Cook Time : 10 minutes
- Yield : 8 servings
- fresh broccoli - 1½ lb
- water - 2 cups
- stalk celery, chopped (¾ cup) - 1 large
- onion, chopped (½ cup) - 1 medium
- butter - 2 tablespoons
- all-purpose flour - 2 tablespoons
- chicken broth (for homemade broth) - 2½ cups
- salt - ½ teaspoon
- pepper - ⅛ teaspoon
- dash ground nutmeg
- whipping cream - ½ cup
- shredded cheese - if desired
- Remove florets from broccoli. Cut stalks into 1-inch pieces, discarding any leaves.
- In 3-quart saucepan, heat water to boiling. Add broccoli florets and stalk pieces, celery and onion. Cover; heat to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer 7 to 10 minutes or until broccoli is tender (do not drain).
- In blender, carefully place broccoli mixture. Cover; blend on medium speed 30 to 60 seconds or until smooth. Set aside.
- In same saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in broth. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in broccoli mixture, salt, pepper and nutmeg; heat just to boiling. Stir in whipping cream; heat just until hot (do not boil or soup may curdle). Serve soup topped with cheese.
CREAM OF CAULIFLOWER SOUP
Substitute 1 medium head cauliflower (about 2 lb), separated into florets, for the broccoli. Add 1 tablespoon lemon juice with the onion in Step 2.