Chocolate Banana Cream Cake
This is an excellent cake and everyone said its delicious.
- Prep Time : 30 minutes
- Cook Time : 20 minutes
- Yield : 12 servings
- butter, softened - 1/2 cup
- cups sugar - 1-1/4
- eggs, separated - 2
- mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium) - 1-1/2 cups
- sour cream - 1/4 cup
- vanilla extract - 2 teaspoons
- all-purpose flour - 1-1/2 cups
- baking soda - 1 teaspoon
- salt - 1/4 teaspoon
- milk, cold 2% - 1-1/2 cups
- instant banana cream pudding mix - 1 package (3.4 ounces)
- chocolate frosting - 1 can (16 ounces)
- firm bananas, sliced - 2 medium
- lemon juice - 3 tablespoons
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks. Beat in the bananas, sour cream and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Transfer to two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a small bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- In a small bowl, beat frosting until light and fluffy. Place bananas in a small bowl; toss with lemon juice.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 3 tablespoons frosting. Stir pudding; spread half over the frosting. Top with half of the bananas and the remaining cake layer. Repeat frosting, filling and banana layers. Frost sides and decorate top edge of cake with remaining frosting. Store in the refrigerator.
TIP: Freeze Bananas
Peel and mash overripe bananas with 1 teaspoon of lemon juice for each banana used. Freeze in 1- or 2-cup amounts in airtight containers for up to 6 months. When you do have time to bake, about 1-1/3 cups mashed bananas equals three medium or four small bananas.
Leave a Reply