There are many interesting facts about foods that are definitely worth knowing. Here are some of them:
1. The more saturated the color of a fruit or vegetable is, the more nutrient and taste it is.
2. Apples contain 25% air. Therefore, do not sink in water.
3. Pasta, oats and legumes (peas, beans and lentils) are the sources of the so-called slow release carbohydrates, which limit the rise in blood sugar.
4. Avocados have the highest amount of protein and fat from all fruits and most of the fat are the healthier unsaturated type.
5. It is recommended that fruits and vegetables should consume five times a day, whether fresh, frozen, dried, canned or in the form of juice.
6. Apples, potatoes and onions have similar taste but their smells give them a different feeling.
7. Eating a small tin of baked beans is equivalent to eating a fruit or vegetable.
8. Carrots were initially purple in color. They are orange in the 17th century with newer varieties.
9. In skimmed and semi-skimmed milk contains as much calcium as in the whole milk.
10. Celery contains fewer calories than are necessary for its digestion.
11. Food with low or reduced fat content are not necessarily less calories because they usually have a large percentage of sugar and starch.
12. Champagne contains 49 million bubbles in a bottle.
13. According to research by scientists from the University of Cardiff people who eat breakfast with fiber-rich foods are less tired and stressed than those who eat breakfast with poor-fiber foods such as cornflakes.
14. Cherries are the biological family of roses.
15. It is not true that а person get fat if eat late at night. Scientists have shown that the most important for a person’s weight have calories that he takes during the day.
16. Chewing gum stimulates signals in the learning center of the brain, thus helping to preserve memory with age.
17. Frozen vegetables can be as nutritious as fresh, especially if fresh are stored at room temperature for a few days.
18. All fruits and vegetables contain different phytochemicals that give them a certain color and flavor and are good for health.
19. Cabbage contains 91% water.
20. Dislike of Brussels sprouts can be inherited. Some people carry a gene that makes them perceived this vegateble as unpleasantly bitter. Pity, because brussels sprouts is healthy.
21. Eggplants are actually fruits, and classified botanically as such.
22. Chocolate is so delicious that when we consume it, our brain release endorphins (hormones of happiness) that cause us to eat more. Fortunately, cocoa contains antioxidants and minerals including magnesium and copper. Milk chocolate does contain calcium.
23. Eggs contain most of us known vitamins except vitamin C.
24. Oysters are the biggest source of zinc in foods. The zinc has a good influence on the immune system, promotes faster wound healing and increases potency. Not surprisingly, the oysters were the favorite food of the famous Venetian lover Giacomo Casanova.
25. The fish is served with lemon slices since the Middle Ages, when people believed that the lemon juice will break down all the bones accidentally swallowed.
26. In 450 grams of human fat contains 3,500 calories. To remove half kg per week, you have to take 500 calories less each day than usual (7×500 = 3500).
27. Lemons contain more sugar than strawberries.
28. The onion is named from a Latin word, which mean large pearl.
29. Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite.
30. Pear is a fruit that ripens from the inside out.
31. The pineapple is the international symbol of hospitality.
32. Strawberries are the only fruit whose seeds are found in the outer skin.
33. In the past, tomatoes were considered poisonous.
34. In Japan, spilling salt is considered good luck.
35. White chocolate is not really chocolate because it does not contain chocolate liquor. Instead, it is made of sugar, cocoa butter, milk solids, lecithin and vanilla.
Leave a Reply