Look for sweet potatoes that have a bright red or deep-orange flesh for the most intense color, flavor and moist texture
- Prep Time : 20 minutes
- Cook Time : 3h 00 min
- Yield : 12 servings
- unpeeled round red or gold potatoes - 4 medium (1½ lb)
- unpeeled sweet potatoes - 4 small (1½ lb)
- mayonnaise or salad dressing (for homemade mayonnaise) - 1¼ cups
- milk - 2 tablespoons
- cumin seed - 1 teaspoon
- salt - ½ teaspoon
- chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (from 7-oz can), finely chopped - 1 to 2
- red bell pepper, chopped - 1 large (1½ cups)
- green onions, sliced - 8 medium (½ cup)
- In 4-quart Dutch oven or saucepan, place red or Yukon Gold potatoes and sweet potatoes; add just enough water to cover potatoes. Cover and heat to boiling; reduce heat to low.
- Cook 20 to 25 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender. Remove sweet potatoes from Dutch oven. Cook red or white potatoes 10 to 15 minutes longer, if necessary, until tender. Drain. Let stand about 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Peel potatoes; cut into cubes.
- In large glass or plastic bowl, mix mayonnaise, milk, cumin seed, salt and chiles. Add potatoes, bell pepper and onions; stir gently to coat. Cover; refrigerate at least 2 hours to chill and blend flavors.