A great tomato pasta sauce can be one of your best go-to dinner ideas. Make a batch or two and freeze it in portion sizes that work for you. Use it as is, or toss in some pepperoni, cooked Italian sausage and mushrooms or olives.
- Prep Time : 15 minutes
- Cook Time : 60 minutes
- Yield : 4 cups sauce
- olive or vegetable oil - 2 tablespoons
- onion, chopped - 1 large (1 cup)
- green bell pepper, chopped - 1 small (½ cup)
- cloves garlic, finely chopped - 2 large
- whole tomatoes, undrained - 1 can (28 oz) (820ml)
- tomato sauce - 2 cans (8 oz each) (230ml each)
- chopped fresh or dried basil leaves - 2 tablespoons
- chopped fresh or dried oregano leaves - 1 tablespoon
- salt - ½ teaspoon
- fennel seed - ½ teaspoon
- pepper - ¼ teaspoon
- In 3-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion, bell pepper and garlic in oil 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, breaking up tomatoes with fork. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered 45 minutes.
- Use sauce immediately, or cover and refrigerate up to 2 weeks or freeze up to 1 year.
SLOW COOKER DIRECTIONS
Use 1 medium onion, chopped (½ cup). Substitute 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained, for the whole tomatoes. Use 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce. Spray 3½- to 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In slow cooker, mix all ingredients. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 8 to 10 hours.