This is apple pie recipe. The latticework crust is simple and makes a great presentation—and is the key to the tasty twist on its classic ingredients. Serve it warm with ice cream or a slice of Cheddar, or room temperature with whipped cream. It’s a famous American dessert and a perfect addition to your Thanksgiving dinner menu.
- Prep Time : 30 minutes
- Cook Time : 1 minutes
- Yield : for family
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
- unsalted butter - 1/2 cup
- all-purpose flour - 3 tablespoons
- water - 1/4 cup
- white sugar - 1/2 cup
- packed brown sugar - 1/2 cup
- Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced - 8
- Never Fail Pie Crust (for top/lattice)
- all-purpose flour - 4 cups
- butter flavored shortening - 2 cups
- white sugar - 1 tablespoon
- salt - 1 teaspoon
- ice water - 1/2 cup
- egg - 1
- distilled white vinegar - 1 tablespoon
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.
- Place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Cover with a lattice work crust. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.
- Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft.
Top of pie (lattice)
- In a large bowl, mix flour, shortening, sugar and salt.
- Add ice water, vinegar and egg. Beat to combine.