Super-healthy vegetables bathe in a bowl of creamy beetroot soup in this easy winter warmer.
- Prep Time : 5 minutes
- Cook Time : 10 minutes
- Yield : 6 servings
- beetroot - 1 bunch (4 beetroot)
- olive oil - 2 teaspoons
- brown onion, chopped - 1 medium
- carrots, peeled, chopped - 2 large
- celery stalks, sliced - 3
- desiree potatoes, peeled, chopped - 500g
- garni - 1 bouquet
- chicken stock (see note) - 4 cups
- sour cream - 2 tablespoons
- chopped fresh chives - to serve
- Trim beetroot stems and leaves. Wearing gloves, peel and chop beetroot. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot and celery. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add beetroot, potatoes, bouquet garni, stock and 1 cup cold water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, partially covered, for 1 hour or until beetroot is tender. Cool slightly. Remove and discard bouquet garni.
- Process soup, in batches, until smooth. Return soup to pan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 4 to 5 minutes or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls. Top with sour cream. Sprinkle with chives. Serve.
For a vegetarian soup, use vegetable stock instead of chicken.